Well, I have conquered two of my three problems.  Still need some advice on the
last one.

First, the suggestion of issuing CTRL-ALT-F1 to get a terminal is useful. Saves
one from having to reboot into safe mode all the time.

After first trying to create an xorg.conf, a lightdm config, and anything else
I could think of, I attempted to reinstall (apt-get —reinstall install
PACKAGE-NAME) nearly every damn thing related to X11, lightdm, and XFCE4.
While the reinstall was successful ;-) it had no effect on any of my problems.
After logging in I would still get an XFCE error regarding my panel being saved
and my monitor would go blank immediately.

I then dug around to find the xfce configuration and found it in
~/.config/xfce4/.  I removed all the files under
~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/ and ~/.config/xfce4/panel/ figuring
these would all be regenerated.  And I was right, on reboot and logging in I
still got the error related to saving my panel but I got the first run message
in XFCE and had my screen back on.  One battle won.  And there was much
rejoicing...

Then google lead me to some random advice on clearing the user’s cache.  I
exited xfce (using CTRL-ALT-F1), logged in there and did:
“rm -R ~/.cache”.  On reboot and logging back in, my error messages were gone.
Woohoo!  I am now back to where I was when I finished the install yesterday.
Oh, well, must be thankful for the small victories…

These commands, issued in a terminal, do the right thing to my display. That is
they put it in the correct resolution.
xrandr —newmode “1920x1080_60.00” 173.0 1920 2048 2248 2576 1080 1083 1088 1120
-hsync +vsync
xrandr —admode VGA1 1920x1080)60.00
xrandr —output VGA1 —mode 1920x1080_60.00

But I don’t know how to make these commands stick.  I have to issue them every
time I log in.

Also, according to XFCE I have two displays, one called VGA1 and one called
LVDS1.  I see these in the Desktop Settings window and XFCE wants to have a
backgound on each display.  So for VGA1 at the now fixed resolution I have a
background image and in the upper left corner, the other background image
defined for LVDS1 (low display res) I have another image.

Any ideas on where to go from here?

-Tom