My lathe has a 3HP motor driven by a 3hp VFD.
There is also a Kopp Variator variable speed drive, and a 2-speed
gearbox with electromagnetic clutches.

Running at 50Hz it thus has two speeds, 10-500rpm and 80-3000 rpm.

The VFD works fine in the lower range, but in the higher speed range,
unless the variator is wound down to a low speed, the VFD current
reaches 18A and the VFD trips out.

I am wondering if the 1968 3hp motor was made of bigger horses than
the 2015 3hp VFD.

I further wonder if I can change the V/F curve to keep the motor
current inside the limits of the VFD. Does that seem reasonable, or
will the motor simply run slower, make less back-emf and sink even
more current?

This might be a link to the manual
http://www.lovatoelectric.com/HandlerDoc.ashx?s=I365GB12_12.pdf&ic=119

--