I think that was my original point.  Capacitors are expensive and bulky.
Especially if you buy ones that have wide temperature ranges and can handle
a large amount of ripple current.  All which are a requirement for switching
power supplies which is what the VFD really is.

A manufacturing building a VFD for use on 3phase can use a smaller capacitor
than one who has to limit to the same ripple on single phase.  Here's a
simple explanation.
http://www.electroschematics.com/7048/capacitor-input-filter-calculation/

With 3 phase there is less time between each peak to recharge the capacitor
and therefore the ripple is lower with the same size capacitor.  Or the same
with a smaller value capacitor.   If the ripple is too much then the VFD
will probably fault out or become eratic.

My simple and inexpensive Automation Direct VFD meant for 1HP can run a 1 HP
motor on 3 phase.  My South Bend lathe originally had a 3/4HP motor and it's
unlikely I'd even load it at full RPM to require the 1 HP so I can get away
with single phase input for a 1HP motor.  The lathe headstock bearings are
the limiting factor for top speed on my lathe.

And as Stephan mentioned, the diodes can also be an issue if they are sized
on the edge and expected to work with 3 phase.

John