On Friday 29 January 2016 16:36:36 John Kasunich wrote:

> Very few VFDs are actually designed as single-phase input.
> They use three-phase rectifiers, but size the diodes and caps
> such that they can handle the additional stresses of running
> on single phase with only two of the three incoming wires
> connected.  Consult the manual (assuming it is in a readable
> dialect of Chinglish) to find out how they want you to wire it.
>
> In the absence of a manual, I'd probably connect one input
> to L1 and L3 (this runs the L1 and L3 diodes in parallel, you
> might as well use the silicon if it is there), and the other input
> to L2.

The booklet shows 2 different setups including the names of the
terminals, which are differently named in the single phase drawing. No
common names are used, L-N for single, and R,S,T for the 3 phase setup,
and the terminals on this one are labeled R, S, and T.

I'll see what the vendor has to say.  If he hasn't resolved it eith
saying do as you've said, or agreed to send me the right one with a
prepayed return sticker for the wrong one, by Feb 4th, ebay will step in
and see if they can get it fixed.

I suspect that in the end, you are right.  But the smallest 2 pole
breaker I could find at Lowes was a 20 amp.  100%+ Overkill.  But I did
get it.  So we'll see what happens in the next week.