On 01/29/2016 07:18 PM, Chris Kelley wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> I recently "inherited" a little Smithy 622 CNC mill that had already been
> converted to LinuxCNC.
>
> The machine has BLDC servos on the X and Y (run by the 7i39 on P1 of the
> 5i20), a spindle encoder and analog drive (run from the 7i33TA on P2 of the
> 5i20), and a stepper for the Z-axis (run along with the field I/O from the
> Opto22 board on P3 of the 5i20).
>
> Before tonight, everything was working great. So, naturally, I had to mess
> with it.

We charge double for cases like this.

> The PC was running 2.5 on Ubuntu 10, so I decided to reload the machine
> with a clean LinuxCNC 2.7/Debian Wheezy install (from the .iso).
>
> After the install, I copied over the (previously) working ini/hal config
> files (attached). But, now when I try to start up LinuxCNC, I get an error
> that the hm2_5i20.0.stepgen.00.enable pin cannot be found.
>
>>From what I can tell, even though the config is calling for 3 encoders, 2
> 3-phase PWMs, 1 regular PWM, and 1 stepgen, only the encoders and 3-phase
> PWMs are getting created.
>
> The only thing I can think of is that the previous owner was using a
> modified version of the SVTP6_7I39.BIT firmware that allowed for the
> creation of stepgens and regular pwmgens.
>
> Sadly, I did not think to back up the firmware folder before wiping the old
> install.

It's good to have a spare drive for fresh OS install when you are not
sure about the outcome or when there is only one partition.

> Am I missing something, or do I need some sort of custom firmware file?
>
> -Chris

While I cannot answer your question about the firmware issues, it's
worthwhile to mention that all Linux installations benefit from
partitioned disk drive so that you do not wipe out all files with
reinstalling the OS. I hope this helps others in the future.

For future installations I recommend to create at least 4 partitions:
/      for the OS
/var   for logs, package cache etc.
swap
/home  user home directories obviously.
/tmp   optional.

/home is the last partition for "the rest of the disk space.

Before you upgrade the OS it's always good to save critical config files:
mkdir /home/backup
tar cvfp /home/backup/etc.tar /etc
tar /home/backup/usr.local.bin.tar /usr/local/bin
and so on.

That way you preserve any config files in case you need to restore them
later.

If you run into disk space issues at some point later, you simply move a
directory to /home and make a link. Typical example is:

mkdir /home/var.cache
(cd /var/cache; tar cfp - .) | (cd /home/var.cache; tar xvf -)

cd /var
rm -rf /var/cache; ln -s /home/var.cache cache

cp -rp /lib/firmware /home   <- this would save /lib/firmware/hm2
firmware among others.

When partioning disk drive during new installation you only need to make
sure that last partition is preserved and mounted under /home

Disk drives are so low cost thee days that it's worthwhile to install OS
on a new one and use the old one for backups.

--
Rafael