Adding to the code fight. It's a pity we still have to deal with G-code.
It's not 1960's when machines came with equivalent of few hundred bytes
of memory and/or paper tape reader.

Why is it that people need to remember some Gxxxx to move a tool along x
or y axis in increments or absolute coordinates when more human readable
command would do?

At one point one would expect to see G-code make progress into something
like HP-GL/2 with additional axis, CNC specific commands, and modern
functions calls. At least you have two letters for a command in HP-GL.

Some technologies just don't make any reasonable progress. For old
machines I get it, but seeing the same thing in new ones?

It would also make sense to see files with CNC code wrapped in json or
yaml format these days. As machines become computerized, it would be
trivial to get rid of G(M)-code and move on.

Modern TVs for example can download a program from the network and run
it like "smart phones" do. Why not have "smart CNC machines"?

On 01/31/2016 09:59 PM, Jerry Scharf wrote:
> Eric Altman, author of sendmail said that he received "a lifetime of

I hated it from day one I had to deal with it in Solaris and later
Linux! Switched to exim and later to postfix as soon as they were
usable. Why the hell would one need to create an "inhumane configuration
files" for critical application I'll never understand but there are
other things in software world I don't understand either.

--
Rafael