On 2/16/2016 9:40 PM, John Dammeyer wrote:
> I believe they only use the home switch to figure out where the end of the
> printer is.  Once established for page of printing it's not used to
> reference until perhaps the next page and probably not even then.  From then
> on the positioning is based on the motor steps.  Just think if they had to
> do a slow homing operation on every line.

They use a linear or rotary encoder. HP's mostly use a spring tensioned
plastic strip behind the carriage, with optical sensors straddling it.

Others use a thin plastic disk on one of the shafts in the drivetrain.

A common cause of problems with the linear type is ink fog on the strip.
Cleaning gently with a bit of damp paper towel folded over the strip can
often fix problems where the printer wants to slam the carriage against
the ends. You have to start the printer up then pull the power cord
after it takes the carriage out of its parked position. That's so you
can slide it to be able to clean the whole strip.

Cleaning the disk encoders involves taking the printer apart. Some
printers seem to be designed to be serviced, the higher end HP inkjets
used to have a panel on one end for easy removal of the 'dock' so the
nozzle wipers, priming system and waste ink sump and absorber could be
pulled out and cleaned.

Other printers, well, they *can* be taken apart but the case may not
look so pretty after reassembly.

---