OK could be the optical switch sonly used for self-calibration when the
printer is first powered up.  Still the little things are very accurate.  I
bought some a while back, I think a bag of them for $5 on eBay.

Does the printer need to do a SLOW home one each line?  I thought the
advantage of an optical switch was that there was not physical contact and
you can blow through them at any speed.  Simply note the encoder count as
you pass.  This would mean it self corrects for any missed steps.   We
would need the firmware source code to really know for sure and even then
different printers might be different.

I've used these to build a motor shaft encoder, you need two per shaft for
quadrature.  With a mother spinning at a couple thousand RPM and over a
dozen slots on the disk you get a decently fast pulse rate.  The device
would handle a very high speed, certainly no need to slow down and bump.
In fact I wonder if the slow pass the printer makes is not for some kind of
backup mechanical switch?

In any case anyone with a machine tool and a dial indicator could rig up a
test and determine for themselves the specs for a mechanical or optical
switch. Just watch on the dial where the switch trips and repeat a few
dozen times.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California