On 02/17/2016 03:52 PM, Dave Cole wrote:
> I'm shopping for some linear/glass scales for a custom industrial machine.
>
> I only need to read 8" of travel.
>
> Does anyone know of an economical solution.    I'd like full quad
> outputs - ttl would be ideal.
> I don't need super resolution or accuracy.  .001" would be sufficient.

Most since the early 1980's are metric.  So, 25 um
quadrature count is .0009843".  Therefore, a scale with 100
um line spacing would give you that resolution.  Just look
on eBay.  Especially, 8" or so scales should turn up, they
are less useful for machine conversions.

If you want brand new, there are a bunch of outfits making
DRO systems, and many of them still use glass scales.
Check the Enco catalog, they used to allow you to buy just
the scales.

There are also things that are essentially digital calipers
with the measuring jaws left off, and they generally do NOT
have quadrature output.  Possibly they could tell you by
phone which is which.

Jon