On 02/18/2016 04:32 AM, Dave Cole wrote:

> On 2/17/2016 9:17 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
>> On 02/17/2016 03:52 PM, Dave Cole wrote:
>>> I'm shopping for some linear/glass scales for a custom industrial machine.
>>>
>>> I only need to read 8" of travel.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of an economical solution.    I'd like full quad
>>> outputs - ttl would be ideal.
>>> I don't need super resolution or accuracy.  .001" would be sufficient.

There are a few linear encoder designs floating around The Net that are
based on using a wire or ribbon that turns a cheap rotary encoder.
Hmmm... well there used to be some designs, but I can't seem to find any
off hand. The basic idea is similar to the linear position mechanism in
floppy drives, using a metal ribbon fixed at one end, then wrapped
around the encoder shaft, and fixed at the other end with a spring to
take up any slop.

Or use a rack and pinion to turn the rotary encoder.

USDigital.com also has some less expensive linear solutions.
http://usdigital.com/products/encoders/incremental/linear/LIN

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/