On Monday 29 February 2016 08:51:03 Rick Lair wrote:

> Aaaahhhh, that makes sense then,
>
> Rick

I might throw in another observation I first made in the 1970's when CB
radios from the J.A.Pan Co. started flooding the market.

Any wire of asian origin, which has a bright red insulation, bordering on
a hint of magenta coloration, is a 3 to 5 year wire at best, and that
category INCLUDES those bright red sata cables we use in our computers
today.

So it you start having drive troubles, put a tail on the messages file,
and take a pencil or longer dowel and move the drive cable(s) around.
If the log explodes with disconnect/reset messages, its time to replace
those cables but not with more red ones. Tan, yellow, blue or black is
fine, but get rid of the red ones.  End of problem for many years.

Back in the years I was dealing with the CB radios as a service tech,
mike cables were the usual suspect, and most makers used the red wire in
the cable as a transmit trigger.  Transmission would stop, or get
extremely broken up, so I'd pull the covers off the connector & check
continuity, and it was always the red wire that was broken even if it
didn't look broken.  You could wiggle it and find the bad connection was
usually inside the insulation, either in the strain relief gripper as it
exited the mike, or just as often, in the 4 pin connector where it
hooked to the radio, also at the point of the strain relief clamp.
Cutting the jacket back past that point about an inch, then restripping
the cable to resolder it back together, usually found nothing but a
copper colored dust inside the red wire, no wire left in it to strip!

We started ordering mike cable replacements, but had a hell of a time
convincing the suppliers that we wanted ONLY american made cables,
because the japanese made cables they could sell us for 1/3rd the cost
of the american cable, were more of the same crap we were replacing.
And Norfolk Two-way Radio had a reputation to up hold as we were famous
from coast to coast among the truckers as THE place to get your radio
fixed right.  And I was the bench tech doing those repairs on the side,
making a 14 hour day out of keeping KXNE-TV 19 on the air for the
Nebraska ETV Commission with about 6 hours in the middle of the day
doing the radio work.  There's something it that hot red dye that
doesn't bode well for copper, oxidizing it into dust eventually.

If you have good color vision, that particular plastic dye stands out
like a flashing red warning light to the experienced tech, and I just
wrote 4k of text to say that. :( When you see it, you ARE looking at
Trouble with a capital T.

So I'll snip the rest.