On Tuesday 08 March 2016 07:39:25 Mark wrote:

> On 03/07/2016 12:50 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > The best of that type of device is (google for it) the "Capacitor
> > Wizard", a single function device that costs about $200, which can
> > do it incircuit because its signal is too low to turn on any
> > surrounding semiconductors even if they are Schotkey types.
>
> Gene,
>
> Check out the Blue ESR meter.  Does the same as the Cap Wizard, and is
> only $84.  It is a kit, but I built mine a few years ago, and anyone
> that knows which end of a soldering iron to hold can assemble this
> guy. This meter has gotten excellent reviews from all over.
>
> <http://www.flippers.com/BlueEsr.html>

I hadn't been aware of that one yet. Its 100mv voltage may turn on any
schotkey diodes a wee bit, something the 85 mv of the wizard is far less
likely to do.

Bookmarked, thanks a bunch.  I will order me one when the 2mm wide clips
are back in stock.  The wizard, FWIW, gold plates all the probe stuffs
to negate any resistance buildup due to oxidation, where I note in the
pix that these appear to be chromed and will need more care to prevent
chipping the chrome off which also has a higher bulk resistance than the
gold.

But I like, and at less than half the wizard, will get one.