Hi,

No one mentioned my favorite way, so I will just throw it out there. rsync
is a very good way to keep directory trees synced. It's very smart in
deciding which files to move over and can deal with failed transfers. rsync
is good with push or pull.

The trick to make it smooth is to create an account and give it a ssh key
without a passphrase on one machine. On the other machine you create the
same account and put the public key from the other side in the
authorized_keys file within ~/.ssh. The final step is to make a cron job to
run the rsync command on the side with the key.

This may seem like a lot of bother, but it only takes three moving parts,
rsync, ssh and cron, which are found on almost every *nix box. Since I can
walk up to quite a few machines on some days, it's just easy to have it all
there. Same reason I still use vi/vim and even ed at times.

On the other hand, dstat and ofiles are the first two installs I do on just
about any box. You might guess I'm a sys admin.

jerry

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 2:45 PM, Chris Albertson <albertson.ch...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> There are many schemes that work.  One of my favorites is to not store any
> data at all on the client machines.  One benefit is that you never have to
> do a backup of a client machine and if one fails it is trivial to replace
> it quickly.  You never copy files so the OP's problem never happens.
>
> What you do is create a disk image file on a server and have the client
> machines boot off that image.  It is rare to find PC hardware that can't be
> configured in the BIOS to do a network boot.  After they boot they use DHCP
> to get a unique hostname and IP address.   User directories use auto mount
> so all user data and files appear as if they were local on an as needed
> basis.  So basically you just get a computer with no hard drive and plug in
> the Ethernet cable and flip the power switch.  It's way-easy because with
> no local hard drive there is not a lot of configuration you CAN do.  Almost
> all PC hardware will attempt to do a network boot if there is no disk, CD
> or floppy drive installed

Jerry Scharf
FINsix IT
650.285.6361 w