Rick,

The family of software you mentioned are there to try to protect you when
you bring new things onto the machine.

Anti-virus is for finding bad programs that have been added to the machine.
If you stick to only installing things that are downloaded from the debian
distro and things you can vouch for yourself, then this becomes a
non-issue. If you are loading up many random tools on the machine, then it
may become an issue.

Now comes the bad news about anti-virus. They offer marginal protection at
best. It's not that they don't work, it's that its a complex target and
there is only so much that can be found in file signatures.

The best safety comes from caution. Don't load anything on the linux-cnc
machine that doesn't need to be there. Don't have a browser on that
machine. Do minimal development on the machine and only with well trusted
tools. Vet everything extra you load onto the machines and keep up with the
disrto security patches. Don't stick a thumb drive into the machine unless
you personally formatted it on a clean machine.

FWIW, I don't run ant-virus on my machines.

jerry

On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 6:55 AM, Rick Lair <r...@superiorroll.com> wrote:

> Hello Guys,
>
> Is there any need for any anti-virus/malware/spyware software on my
> linux machines, I have never thought about, but last week I switched my
> desktop over to Mint from XP, and wasn't sure what security measures are
> needed, I wasn't ever really concerned about the CNC's, but now with my
> desktop, it got me wondering.
>

> Thanks
>
> Rick

Jerry Scharf