Always good to have a local backup as well, but offsite backup is essential if
you really care about the data.  With CrashPlan there is an option, I believe,
where they hold the key as well and can therefore decrypt data if you happen to
lose the key.

However, making sure you don't lose the key is not that difficult.  I have the
key in three locations (devices) so losing the key would be extremely unlikely.
-Tom