I am currently implementing a stepper generator on micro controller which may
output square waves with clock frequency accuracy with use of built in timer
peripheral. It may generate square wave probably up to at least in the MHz
range and be extended downwards as far as needed by some adjustment in
software. It seems to work great and it should only be finnished off. I
currently use relatively expensive micro controller but cheap available for
around $1 in large quantity should also work just as fine since it have the
same peripheral I used.

It no problem to output a sequence of square pulses or with a certain
frequency. Linuxcnc seems to output step velocity and read back accumulated
number of steps generated.

What puzzle me is period may vary. As is now I start to use values as soon as
they are received via Ethernet. I have used other networks like CAN before
there everything is synchronized with "broad casted" with a high priority sync
message. Do anybody have a clue how synchronization should be done for mesa
Hostmot cards via Ethernet? Or more generally in Linuxcnc?

Nicklas Karlsson