For XY, it's homing the machine coords.

For Z, I know touching off the Z and homing the z coord are different, but I
never really saw the need to home the Z.  It doesn't prevent work table
crashing in a manual TC situation.  It prevents excessive Z+ that hits the
stops, but I have a LOT of Z-height and it never really comes up whether I home
or not.

touch-off, whether it's to the table or top of the stock, has to be done every
time.

Homing the Z might be essential as a part of the XY home.  If you just seek XY
from the current Z, if someone goofed and didn't lift the Z, it could run the
spindle through the stock.  If you lift the Z at all to be more foolproof, the
Z+ homing switch would be the only spot that makes sense to stop at.

So, really I'm looking at a deadman Z-XY home, and a deadman Z touchoff.

Danny