On Wednesday 11 May 2016 02:22:41 Peter Blodow wrote:

> Gene,
> cast iron is easy to cut, mill and turn because it contains lots of
> carbon, better known as graphite which is a natural solid lubricant.
> Using water in addition, if any, is merely for cooling and carrying
> away the debris. However, if the casting has been cooled very rapidly,
> it may be surface hardened (this is used for industrial purposes,
> too). You won't get a scratch on such "hard cast iron" with ordinary
> tools. So it may be that diamond cutting is useful for getting through
> the surface, the rest could be cut with any old steel tool.

And far less precisely.  I left about .1" to be able to make this the
exact height to put the tip of a 5/16" cutting tool as exactly at the
center height, minus a 1/32" brass shim under the tool in a stock 4
cornered tool holder which is far more rigid than any QC holder in the
sizes suitable for use on such a small lathe. I also intend to hollow
cut both top and bottom faces by a thou or so, so that the mating
surfaces are as widely contacted as possible when the 10mm holddown bolt
for the tool holder is brought to full tension, and that the bottom will
be in as wide a contact as is practical.  The bottom is mated to the
crossfeed with a loose plug, flanged to be pulled up against the flange
by a pair of 6mm cap screws that one normally loosens to adjust the
compound angle.

But I see that in addition to the tool holder mount being moved to the
right and back, that I will also need to allow more clearance to a large
workpiece by removing at least another 1/2" from the front for large
pieces as I am backed out about as far as the crossfeed can, and quite a
ways out on the compound, and the workpiece is nibbling on the compounds
base.  IOW, selling this lathe as a 7" is pure marketing BS as its real
limit is about 4".  Only with a lantern post tool holder would it ever
clear 5". And my attempts to build one of those haven't been too
successful, mainly due to lack of vertical space for the rocker key and
socket. I may make 2 of these, with the 2nd about a half inch thinner
just so a lantern post could be made to work.

> I would have used one of my angle grinders with a grinding disc for
> steel and cut down that cast iron piece in a matter of minutes. It all
> depends on the right bonding material of the grains.
>
> By the way; tell an old non-American, what is the idea of this lawyer
> biz you mentioned?
>
> Peter

Probably the most famous quote from the writings of William Shakespear.

I find in my dealings that they have studied the law, often to find the
exceptions to the rule of common sense, so deeply that no common sense
survives in their world view.  That turns the great majority of them
into leeches on society.  Leeches are NOT productive members of any
specie.