Manual toolchanging here.

I have a wireless tool setter already wired in, and an XHC-HB04 wireless
pendant.  I'd like to press the "Probe-Z" button and have it zero the work
coords on the touch.

But, just to complicate things, I'd really like to have this deadman, so you
must hold down the Probe-Z button or it will abort the process immediately and
fail to set the Z-home.

There are others using the machine and it's quite easy to forget to put the
tool probe down or fail to align the tool directly over the probe properly.
This is the sort of thing people readily say "oh crap!" and promptly forget to
go looking for the Stop button.  It's a large router and the physical e-stop
may be some distance away, and if you used that it's gonna unhome the whole
machine coord system.  I could also reasonably expect some to "fix" it by just
pausing which actually leaves its move pending.  So there's a big advantage to
deadmanning that button.

I have coded up other XHC buttons in the HAL to do simple things (home
button=G0 X0 Y0).  I do see Probe solutions that call a g-code .ngc file but
that can't deadman AFAIK.

Is there a reasonably practical way to do this?

Danny