Got into a bizarre argument... so of course it was initially "Computer Numeric
Control".  I was noting people breaking it down to explain it to people as
"which means it's 'computer numeric controlled'" but that seems to add nothing
to the meaning.  In fact it's confusing.

It's computer-controlled, sure.  I say "computer controlled" for people who
don't know the term "CNC".  But what is the "numeric" adding?  I presume that
meant something in like the 80's, but it's not used anymore.  Computers use
numbers... and bits... and memory... and code... and electricity.  It doesn't
seem to convey anything now but implies there's some special number thing going
on, which is why I always just say "CNC" or "computer controlled".

Thing is, people occasionally become confused how a laser cutter or 3D printer
is NOT "computer numeric control", we never call those CNC.  Well, they ARE all
computer-controlled, equally so, really.  And numbers are involved.  But the
term "CNC" seems limited to mills, routers, and plasma.  A waterjet or wire
EDM, I just hear those without the "CNC" in front, because there's no manual
waterjets around.  There are handheld plasma cutters through.

It seems like expanding it to "computer NUMERIC control" implies that something
entirely different in its core concept than laser cutters or 3D printers... or,
like, a paper printer, and people ask what that is.

I was arguing the best answer is "CNC just means CNC, and specifically cutters
and plasma".

Danny