> On 31 August 2016 at 07:42,  <dan...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
>> Got into a bizarre argument... so of course it was initially "Computer
>> Numeric Control".  I was noting people breaking it down to explain it to
>> people as "which means it's 'computer numeric controlled'" but that seems to
>> add nothing to the meaning.  In fact it's confusing.
Before CNC, there was NC (or tape-NC).  No computer.  The
Moog Hydra-point control read a wide tape which had the
positions coded on it with air nozzles, similar to a player
piano.  The position encoders on the machine slides also
used many holes and air nozzles to encode position.  The
control was entirely pneumatic.  The comparison between
commanded position and encoder position controlled Moog
hydraulic servo valves to move the machine by hydraulic
motor and leadscrew.  That was an example of "extreme" NC.

GE made controls that were electronic and digital, and used
traditional (but very limited and concise) G-code.
These had hundreds of boards full of discrete Germanium
transistors.  It was all functional logic, no computer.
The basic control did positioning only.  If you wanted
linear interpolation, you had to add a couple hundred more
boards.  if you wanted circular interpolation, add another
couple hundred boards. There was no CRT, just an LED
position display and paper tape.

Bridgeport and others had early CNC systems that worked
about the same way, no CRT, just an LCD display with very
terse information.

Finally, in the late 60's or early 70's CNC with CRT
displays came out.

So, the term "CNC" was used to distinguish the advanced
capabilities of having a computer IN the machine control, as
opposed to the limitations of the earlier NC systems.

Jon