On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 12:49 AM, Russell Brown <russ...@lls.lls.com> wrote:

> I tried upgrading from 2.7.4 to 2.7.7 (debian wheezy, apt-get) but when
> I fire linuxcnc up I get a popup error message:
>
>>G-Code error in axis.ngc
>>
>>Near line 12 of /usr/share/axis/images/axis.ngc:
>>Bad character 'z' used
>
> If I click 'OK' linuxcnc loads but the initial X & Y show as 4.23e+289
> and 2.95e+240 and axis.ngc is not showing in the display.

Have you looks at the file "axis.ngc:" using a text editor or using
"less" in a terminal?  What do you see near line number 12?  The first
thing to do is always assume the r=error message is literally true.

Perhaps what has happened is that a number in the file has been wrong
all along and now the newer software does a better job of catching
errors in the files it reads.  The problem be syntactical or logical

One other debug method I use that works with open source software is
to search for the error string in the source code.  Then it is pretty
easy to see the condition that would cause it to be printed.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California