On 12/25/2016 11:11 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 24 December 2016 15:59:31 Chris Albertson wrote:
>
>> Read the little write up at the Mesa site about cable length.   They
>> claim ribbon cable is the worst and to only use it for very short
>> runs, 2 or 3 feet at most.     They suggest using "real" parallel
>> cables made with twisted pairs and shielding for longer runs.  Using
>> one of their fancy IEEE cables you can go up to 25 or 30 feet, half
>> that with a normal round cable and half that again with ribbon cable.

I have made up a number of special-purpose cables for
interfacing parallel ports to things, including the HPIB
bus.  You can take the twisted-pair ribbon cable and
hand-wire the signals and grounds to appropriate pins, and
get excellent operation up to 25 or more feet.  Every signal
gets a pair of wires, one signal and one ground.
But, making these is tedious.

Jon