On Sunday 25 December 2016 17:23:08 Chris Albertson wrote:

> Have you tried typing "sudo  synaptic-pkexec" rather than "
> synaptic-pkexec" and is your logged in user in the  /etc/sudoers
> file?
>
> Also you can alway just use "apt" or apt-get" for package management
> at the command prompt.  Much simpler and faster.

Yes it is, no question about that.

But what package? apt apparently has no way to show you whats missing
that is killing your x. I do have an /etc/init.d/x11-common, which has
to be running if I want it to display on another machine.  And I do have
it running that way by putting a 10 in front of the error and ferror
values in he ini files [joint] settings.

With synaptic its a piece of cake to scroll down the the X stuffs and
look thru the list for the usual suspects, click, mark install, click
apply and ok, done. Reboot if needed.

The logs are either non-existant, or silent of any clues that might point
to a missing package.  And lightdm is installed.
However, /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf has an empty [seat] stanza.

Please, you who are running an r-pi, with the x gui working, send me the
output of

 grep -v '#' /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

The one I have doesn't even start a "default seat".
I've enabled that, and we'll see what logs if any are generated.

Thanks.