On 03/12/2017 11:04 PM, Peter Blodow wrote:
> Please, could someone explain to a poor physicist what noatime and Mutt are?

Noatime refers to a flag that can be set on the filesystem. By default,
the access timestamp is recorded and saved in a unix filesystem (the
last time you access a file, any file). This requires a write to the
disk for /every/ thing you do with files, and on a unix system,
everything is a file. So it will add up to many many writes.

The flag noatime disables this behaviour and no access timestamps are
recorded/saved.

Mutt is a command-line email reader; see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutt_(email_client)

This has been a long time standard email client on many systems and is
still in use today. It is *still* in development (last release ~16 days
ago).

--
Greetings Bertho

(disclaimers are disclaimed)