On Monday 13 March 2017 16:29:30 andy pugh wrote:

> On 13 March 2017 at 20:09, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:
> > I note
> > that both axis.x.jog-scale and joint.0.jog-scale are zero.
>
> I thought you had set up all sorts of clever HAL logic to drive the
> jog-scale from the encoder?

I do, but didn't realize the jog-count data needed to be massaged down
to /1000th of a red hair. I set scale to one, which meant machine units
according to the manpage for motion, whereas I thought it was the scale
for that axis from the ini file. If I leave the math alone, then scale
becomes .000038933 for X and .000045894 for Z.

I fed both inputs an enable signal, and set both scales for x to 1, and
it ran to the mechanical crash point and sat there banging on it till
the timeout expired. Poking the esc key was useless.

Re-reading man 9 motion tells me its machine units which is inches,
whereas with my prior math, the scale, if I leave all the previous math
alone, s/b the recipricol (SP? my spell checker sucks dead toads thru
soda straws, default debian big_en) of the axis scale setting. The
number I developed was for the number of microsteps. to move .0002" as
the slowest step, and thats several inches by the motion definition.
Duh. Dumbassed old man even. I can get rid of some math if I leave it at
1, and just feed motion the same data being displayed in my post-gui-hal
pyvcp panel stuffs.  And the pi will thank me.  That will take me about
as long to excise that as it did to write it. :( Tomorrow maybe...