Definitely put a separate controller on the robot/pick and place.

I'd consider using Modbus TCP via Classic Ladder for the interface
handshaking.    It should be fairly simple.

Everything is already built into LCNC to do that.    I've used the
Modbus TCP master via Classic Ladder several times to talk to interface
PLCs to LCNC.  I believe that the Modbus TCP Slave also works so that
should work for LCNC to LCNC communications.    If you run into comm
issues, there are free Modbus TCP debug tools on the web.

If you are making a cartesian robot/pick and place .  Consider using a
small PLC to run your pick and place.   Some small PLCs can run 4 or
more axes of step and direction drives.   If you know ladder logic,  it
might the be easier than using LCNC.    Running a robot is not the
problem.  Handling all of the exceptions is the issue.

For instance you pick up the part and begin the move and the part
vanishes from the gripper.  Now what do you do?  Etc Etc..

Ive been working on a machine cell with 3 Yaskawa robots and a number of
machines.   The Yaskawa robots handle all of the motion while the PLCs
command the robots and handle the exceptions and run the machines.

Dave