On Monday 27 March 2017 03:56:53 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Monday 27 March 2017 00:17:19 Erik Christiansen wrote:
> > On 26.03.17 18:53, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > But is 7 the correct factor? It should be fairly easy to jack it
> > > back out.
> >
> > Gene, I've never made one of them, but looking here:
> >
> > http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&ve
> >d=
> > 0ahUKEwiE6q-q5PXSAhWGKWMKHeZIAf0QFgg-MAc&url=http%3A%2F%2Funiversalb
> >ear
> > ings.com.au%2Fdownload-subproducts%2Ftaperlock-bushes&usg=AFQjCNGOFI
> >vAU jPQ1JccxaHkdEjC0hT5oA
> >
> > the first bush in the table seems to be:
> >
> > atan((35.2 - 33.7)/11.1) = 7.7° included, near as dammit.

So I did the taper turn at TAN[7.7]*total z len which was 0.735"

Finished (except for jacking holes) hub looks great. Set it aside for
now.

Chuck pulley and hammer around for concentricity etc, spins good and
true.  Edit code to do the tapered bore, but change for a full inch of Z
motion, so I used the TAN[7.7] raw as the inner factor to sub from the
bore at z left end. Using one of those cheap $20 a kit of cemented
carbide boring bars. Re-shapened with a diamond disk in a dremel. Get it
bored big enough (and bore looks like shit, tool is skipping) to start
checking fit using the hub I just made at what was supposed to be the
same angle.  Bored angle too steep by quite a bit. Hub goes in about
half way, jams on tip of hub and can be rocked around. Its not trashed
yet, but this is where I start fiddling with bar sharpening angles,
widening the hole at the deep end until it fits. And changing the bar to
a monster I made years ago, a 5/8" diameter bar about 10" long I had
made a groove in the side of to hold a small bar that seriously needed
some stiffening. Takes std diamond pattern chips. Then gradually reduce
the x decrement until it fits.

I don't believe the spindle head on this lathe has ever aligned with the
z motion of the carriage. I replaced the whole head a year ago after
refitting a new head with all metal gears, and while I cleaned the paint
overspray off the mating surfaces on its bottom, I think this one is
sitting even more out of alignment. At one time years ago I had wasted a
piece of cold roll and a few days adding an offset per inch factor to x
until it was turning a decent cylinder, and should have painted it on
the monitor, as its in the area of 7 thou per inch, but that was on the
OEM head assembly.  Cheap, mumble mumble, Chinese crap.

Andway, change the bar to the big boy, then start shaving the angle is
todays project.  After I go to the store and get stuff for breakfast and
fix it for us.