On 04.04.17 12:29, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 April 2017 06:04:50 Erik Christiansen wrote:
>
> > On 04.04.17 05:00, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Those scraps of that blueish foam have all been binned or used years ago.
> And Lowes no longer carries that same board in 2" R22 thickness. The
> current product the last time I looked is a white, larger cell product
> and only about R20 because of that, but its the same $35 & tax a 4x8
> foot sheet.  How it would cut with a hot wire would be TBD.

Should be good. It's when resorting to a cold sharp knife that the
"melded bean bag fill" crummy foam crumbles.

> How hot does the hot wire need to be?

Just go by feel. This one suggests 600°F (that's 315°C, which sounds
like a good starting point):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GWzHb4Hd8Y

but with a 555 & MOSFET, you can PWM your way to happy cutting from 12v
with most bits of recycled nichrome wire even a foot long.

Some make the frame from wood - that'd be more rigid than his.
(I've welded a couple of small bits of RHS together, added a baseplate
to screw to an old chipboard kitchen sink cutout (melamine topped), and
need to rout a slot from the edge to the base of the wire, for an Al
T-slot, so I can slide a vertical pin back & forth for setting radii for
cutting disks, rings, and cylinders.

> Seeing as how thats best jiggered up as a wire support frame I could
> stick in a vise on the g0704's table and rig some sort of a sheet
> gripper leaving a cutaway, for the hot wire to move within, attached
> to the chip pan, if I get it rigid enough to keep its place as the
> wire moves, I could probably just write gcode to drive the cutters
> path. Where it needs a lid like the outside face of a belt cover, just
> cut the outline out and glue it on.

Takes a while to build, though. Sketching the outline on the back of a
cornflakes packet, cutting it out with scissors, running around it with
a ballpoint pen on the foam, then carefully following it by hand with
the hot-wire cutter, is quicker. (I don't know of a good temporary
adhesive for sticking the template on the foam without tearout on
removal.)

> But, I think buying the printer would get me a nicer looking belt cover.

The printed product could perhaps be used directly, instead of then
making a casting, and machining it where necessary?

Erik