On Thursday 06 April 2017 22:19:56 Gene Heskett wrote:

> Greetings Peter;
>
> 1) This config I started out with has a watchdog.reset as a separate
> addf'd function which I suspect is in the leftovers that are now past
> their use-by date column.  Can I nuke that addf entry?
>
> 2) I'm not that familiar with threads when they are added, slower than
> servo threads.
>
> So, can I move the final write to the 7i90 to the end of that string
> of servo-thread addf's, and treat the other slower thread for my jog
> wheel thread stuff as independent of the servo-thread list?
>
> I feel like I have created a monster by having the jog-thread stuff
> inside the servo-thread addf list in my hal file. But I don't know for
> sure because man 9 threads manpage doesn't illuminate how thats
> handled. It says "hard real time" and one interpretation sets off
> alarm bells in my alleged mind because that implies it might fight
> with the
> servo-thread enough to cause the joint errors at random times. The
> threads module makes no mention of priority order, and I am using just
> one, slower than servo thread additional thread.  And I would like to
> think the jog-thread only executes between servo-thread invocations.
>
> So can anyone shed some light on this admittedly unusual situation?

ping?

As a PS, I left it running 50 copies of the lathe_pawn.ngc when I hit the
light switch about 9:40-ish last night. Inspecting it with a halmeter
from here and only one eye open simultaniously this morning shows no
motion, spindle motor shut down, and neither joint is in an errored
condition, so I assume it did the 50 cycles I asked it to do. I have not
dressed to go out and actually look at its screen to be sure it
finished, been busy feeding us, and getting the dishwasher started.

I had inserted a couple modules of spindle tracing, to do with tracking
overshoot at the reversal point when doing rigid tapping with it, but I
moved them farther down in the servo-thread addf loop before starting
this last exercise, so that all the addf's of the original config I
started with were still in that order with all my additions later but
before the write to the 7i90.

What I want, but don't know if I can get, is to have the servo thread
running at the highest priority, fully capable of interrupting the
jog-thread, but the jog-thread cannot interrupt the servo thread as its
not that time critical.

How best to do that, given the tools available?

Thanks Peter and everybody.