If this is a 3/8 x 24 then I assume it is a UNF thread.
As I understand it, UNF (and UNC) threads are part of the UTC system, but the
specification for UNF and UNC threads is that UN threads typically have a flat
root, with the option of a rounded root. The rounded root simply gives more
clearance at the root, so is a benefit, but not a necessary feature. The root
could be truncated H/4 from the theoretical vee at the bottom, to give the flat
bottom, but the rounding extends beyond that, giving more clearance.
Male UTC threads have a truncated flat top at the peaks, with a width equal to
P/8 (or 1/8 of 1/24 of 1 inch, which is about 5 thou in imperial units. The
reduction in theoretical OD is twice H/8. H is 0.866025404 x P, so about 72
thou.
Your insert will cut beyond the flat root, so is fine in a normal duty thread.
The pitch diameter measurement will guide you as to depth of cut.

UTC threads are metric, but expressed in imperial units, so the A60 insert,
which I use myself, is a general purpose insert and may be a compromise between
both systems, as well as across the range of pitches the insert can cut
accurately. I have had no trouble with fit or finish using the A60 insert (or
the A55 insert either).

Marcus