On 06/20/2017 11:34 AM, Sebastian Kuzminsky wrote:
On 06/20/2017 10:51 AM, andy pugh wrote:
On 20 June 2017 at 17:37, Peter C. Wallace <p...@mesanet.com> wrote:

I suspect this cannot work the way you have this setup because of the
instantaneous jump in encoder (feedback) position at index

He has hooked up axis.*.motor-pos-cmd to the stepgens' .position-cmd,
and motor-pos-cmd does not jump on home.  His stepgens will see a smooth
curve on their .position-cmd inputs even through all stages of homing.

axis.*.joint-pos-cmd includes the homing offset (and a bunch of other
offsets), so it has that discontinuity, so it's good he's not using that.

I wonder if the answer might be to only connect the encoder once homed?

ie, use a mux2 to to connect motor-pos-fb to motor-pos-cmd until
homed, and
only then switch it to the encoder.

That should not be needed.

Our shopbot has a similar setup, and it homes fine every time.  It has a
Mesa FPGA, position-mode steppers, and encoder position feedback.  It
homes to switches, but not to index.

Never mind, I misread what you guys are talking about. I think Peter and Andy are right, the encoder's feedback jumps, even though the position command does not.

Home to switch, not to index, and it should work fine.

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky