On 06/20/2017 11:39 AM, Sebastian Kuzminsky wrote:
On 06/20/2017 11:34 AM, Sebastian Kuzminsky wrote:
On 06/20/2017 10:51 AM, andy pugh wrote:
On 20 June 2017 at 17:37, Peter C. Wallace <p...@mesanet.com> wrote:

I suspect this cannot work the way you have this setup because of the
instantaneous jump in encoder (feedback) position at index

He has hooked up axis.*.motor-pos-cmd to the stepgens' .position-cmd,
and motor-pos-cmd does not jump on home.  His stepgens will see a smooth
curve on their .position-cmd inputs even through all stages of homing.

axis.*.joint-pos-cmd includes the homing offset (and a bunch of other
offsets), so it has that discontinuity, so it's good he's not using that.

I wonder if the answer might be to only connect the encoder once homed?

ie, use a mux2 to to connect motor-pos-fb to motor-pos-cmd until
homed, and
only then switch it to the encoder.

That should not be needed.

Our shopbot has a similar setup, and it homes fine every time.  It has a
Mesa FPGA, position-mode steppers, and encoder position feedback.  It
homes to switches, but not to index.

Never mind, I misread what you guys are talking about.  I think Peter
and Andy are right, the encoder's feedback jumps, even though the
position command does not.

Home to switch, not to index, and it should work fine.

It looks like it'd be easy to add a ".raw-position" pin to the hostmot2 encoder. We already track .rawcount and compute .count from it, and compute .position from .count.

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky