It could just be that the computer will not boot off the USB stick.

Remove the disk drive, attach it to another computer and install Linux unto
that drive then put the drive backing the PC.   I've resorted to that trick
a few times and got Linux installed on a machine with no CD.

The other tick is to have a USB CD drive and then install from CD.

On Sat, Jul 1, 2017 at 1:13 PM, <tom-...@bgp.nu> wrote:

> Still fighting with this.  I’ve never had so much problem installing
> Linuxcnc.  I have tried everything, different USB sticks, building on
> several different machines using the several different methods and nothing
> I do seems to help.  I still get stuck in this loop of the install trying
> to use a cdrom that doesn’t exist.  Very frustrating.
> -Tom
>

> > On Jun 30, 2017, at 6:20 PM, tom-...@bgp.nu wrote:
> >
> > I was going to update my Emco F1 mill with the latest Linuxcnc running
> on Debian Wheezy.  It is currently on an old Ubuntu that isn’t updated
> anymore.  I have built a bootable USB stick using two different methods,
> one from my Mac using terminal commands and one from another Debian machine
> using the instructions on the Linuxcnc web site.  Both times when trying to
> install from the menu I get stuck in this loop where it wants to find a CD
> Rom drive.  I have tried many things found on the internet(s) when
> searching for "linuxcnc install usb stick tries to find CD Rom” none of
> which seem to work.
> >
> > The problem is like this, only this solution fails saying “Invalid
> argument” to the mount command:
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk6SV7D7UTk
> >
> > I haven’t had this problem in the past, not sure why it is happening.
> Any ideas?
> > -Tom

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California