On 30 June 2017 at 23:20,  <tom-...@bgp.nu> wrote:
> I have built a bootable USB stick using two different methods, one from my
> Mac using terminal commands and one from another Debian machine using the
> instructions on the Linuxcnc web site.

I went round this loop several time last time I tried to install
LinuxCNC (on a PC that had already been successfully installed once).
In the end I decided that the simple solution was:
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/components-and-upgrades/cd-dvd-and-blu-ray-drives/lg-gp57eb40-external-ultraslim-dvd-writer-black-10137032-pdt.html
(An external USB DVD drive)

--
atp