There already is a stanardized sockets based interface called NML.

Standardized for LinuxCNC but it is not a generic CNC interface. It is also licensed GPL2 which is a problem if you want to use it with closed source controllers such as Mach3, Eding CNC, UCCNC, PoKeys etc.

That sound bad. I have not read protocol used for 0MQ yet.

0mq has been around for a while but it simply didn't really fit my application. The biggest problem for me was the fact that it hides connection status. You have no reliable way to know if you have a connection or not. I also had occasional disconnection issues. It is quite possible I was doing something dumb to cause the connection issues but switching to plain sockets proved to be simpler and more reliable.

Les