Hi Andy,

In general, a strain-gauge probe has a strain-gauge
amplifier followed by an adjustable comparator
output that says when strain (from contact) is
"absent" or "present". The probe never really
deflects in the usual 6-ball/3-bar way, it is
mounted solid (hence their really nice magnetic
breakaway attachment to minimize crash damage.)

I don't know the details of how the TP200
strain-gauge probes work, but I would like to,
as I have been considering making a strain-gauge
probe from scratch to get rid of the 6-ball/3-bar
poor-contact problem.

What is really needed to fix that is gold-plated
(maybe gold over nickel over copper?) balls and
bars, but it's hard for DIYers to do that, so
I've been thinking strain gauge, since that
trades for a new set of problems that are
hopefully easier to solve.

Anyway, your probe uses Renishaw's PI 200 interface
(apparently the PI 200-3 was the latest version they
produced). Info (legacy) on the TP 200 and PI 200 here:

www.renishaw.com/media/pdf/en/cac977125ed24a8281fdfaea0497d2da.pdf

www.renishaw.com/media/pdf/en/6d3e76d96a744ca4b576d8793c29dab8.pdf

www.renishaw.com/media/pdf/en/4060f184857d437d930d498c266d6cef.pdf

I am also looking for legacy probe info. I would like
to know details of the IR optical signal produced by
a TP7-TP8-TP9 (& TP10?) touch probe. The receivers are
the MI 4, MI 7, MI 12 interfaces (I have the MI 4, but
no probe). Or perhaps to borrow a probe to observe
the signals it puts out. (I should have started a new
thread, but I imagine this IR stuff will go nowhere.)

Let's talk more about strain gauge probe design after
you get to know your TP200 a little better.

Kim