On Sunday 08 October 2017 02:03:05 John Dammeyer wrote:

> Hi Gene,
> Truly a matter of how we use our tools and how often.
>
> I have a PCB touch plate for my MACH3 JGRO style CNC router.  Had to
> modify some example code for the button on the screen including a
> couple of reminder dialogs to make sure (really sure) that I
> attached/removed the clip lead from the router bit since my router
> shaft is insulated.  I believe there was even a youtube video on how
> to set all that up.
>
> Without good documentation all of this is hard for someone new at
> this.  For example, the Xylotex.ini file didn't have any documentation
> that the max velocity was in ips and no comment to that effect.  The
> same file also has totally different example values in the comments
> from what is actually used. Very confusing for a while.
>
> The Xylotex.hal file has this commented out for the probe input.  I'll
> have to check and see if this can be used.
> #probe input
> #net probe motion.probe-input <= bb_gpio.p8.in-18
> #setp bb_gpio.p8.in-18.invert 1
>
> But where to start after that?  Does one load a TouchPlate.nc file and
> run it.  Then load the actual g-code file again?
>
> Can you make it pause and print a comment to let you know it's going
> to go to the touch plate location?  Can it show any dialogs to guide a
> user through the operation?
>
> For the MACH3 system I move the Z axis over and close to the top of
> the item I want to have as zero.  I then click on a button on the
> screen.  Then I wait and follow the dialogs.  The first tells me to
> attach the clip because without it no ground will be sensed and the Z
> will try and go through the table.  Next it moves, touches off and
> lifts to 1" above with the zero now set.  Finally another dialog to
> remind me to remove the clip off the tool.
>
> Takes longer to type than to do it.  Change or adjust the tool then
> place the PCB on the work and just re-zero.
>
> And as far as custom G-Code, I use Alibre CAD and MecSoft Visual CAM
> to create my G-Code.  I routed a parabolic reflector out of MDF that I
> don't think I could have done with hand written G-Code.  Same with
> DB-9 and DB-25 cut-outs.
>
> But if I want to do a bolt circle of 8 holes I can use my Shumatec DRO
> (once I find the manual) but I think it would take me a lot longer to
> write G-Code by hand.

Thats a canned function in that you invoke it, then follow the invocation
with a list of hole locations, which LinuxCNC will continue drilling
holes until the stop this function is sent.

The linuxcnc normal install includes the manuals which can be read or
even printed if you like dead tree formats, but its around 750 pages
these days just for the main manual.

> How easy is it to add a button to the main user interface that starts
> the touch plate action?

I just put the call to the o<word> subroutine at the top of the file that
needs it with an text editor. But I have more than one subroutine
depending on what I want the machine calibrated to when the subroutine
is finished. I have one that does only the TLO, another that zero's all
3 regular axis touchoffs by hunting inside a small brass half cube,
another that finds the center of a hole.

In axis, one can add buttons on the right panel that could do that, but
never actually gave it a thought since what I do, does work. You would
create the button in xml then use hal to connect it to a halui mdi
function.

When you do a probe operation, the contact point is recorded in memory,
and can then be used in some gcode math to achieve what you want to do.
All of those memory tables and locations are in the documentation .pdf.

> I know.  Way more questions and perhaps the wrong place for them?

Nope, right place. But its 2:30 AM here and I'm hitting the sack for some
snoozing time.

Take care, John