On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 12:20 AM, John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com> wrote:
> True,
> There's no reason to not have an XML file (or larger database for that
> matter) that includes min/max/default values along with several strings for
> help information.  In fact a default format and standard might even be a good
> idea.  Might be better than abstract configuration files stored all over the
> place.

I don't know anyone who really likes XML.  JSON seems a little easier
to read and write.   But there are even better ways to go.  Apple
seems use SQL Lite.  They call it "Core Data"  and there is always
Berkeley DB if it needs to be simple.

But I think a "real server" is the place to keep configuration data.
Real servers use socket-like interfaces and can send parameters over a
network.

The best thing about servers like theses you don't have to write one.
 Any web server can serve XML documents.  You can Apache.   Of course
Apache can serve HTML documentation too.

Lots of way to do it but as long as the data is held in a process that
uses socket-like interface then
you system can be distributed.   A file based parameter storage system
is limited to just the computer
that can read the local files
--

Chris Albertson