On Friday 13 October 2017 14:45:33 andy pugh wrote:

> On 13 October 2017 at 18:41, John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com>
wrote:
> > The advantage of an XML file is that it's possible to use a software
> > tool to create a more structured document with less chances for
> > error.
>
> I just remembered: If you like XML you will _love_ PyVCP. It's a way
> to make custom user interfaces by hand-coding XML files.
>
> What's that? You think that's a terrible idea? I tend to agree :-)
>
> http://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/gui/pyvcp.html

And then, while swearing quietly at it, we go ahead and just do it.  Its
not THAT bad once you get your thinking wrapped around it.

Neither pyvcp nor gladevcp is the ideal tool for gui creation, but folks,
its one of those 2, or write your own from scratch. Or said another
way, "when all you have is a hammer..."

My biggest bitch about pyvcp is its "buttons" are single purpose buttons,
when it would save a hell of a lot of screen real estate if a text
button had 2 halpins so you could change the colors and put that to use
as condition tallies. It would also save a huge amount of screen real
estate if a text box didn't need the texts height as wasted space, both
above and below the text.  Lots of worthless white space around the
text. One could put 2x as much information on screen if the box border
was only a scan line bigger than the text was high.

I asked once for a link to the sources of pyvcp, so I'd at least
appreciate whats involved in fixing some of that, but the lack of
response was deafening.  And discouraging.