On Saturday 11 November 2017 10:33:50 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Saturday 11 November 2017 05:24:30 andy pugh wrote:
> > On 11 November 2017 at 03:01, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
>
> wrote:
> > > With Andy recommending about 10 mills, then I'd need 390 ohm r's
> > > for current limiters.
> >
> > Thinking about this further, are you sure there are no limiters on
> > the BoB? I can't imagine the ebay vendors exposing bare optos to the
> > clueless user?
>
> You could be correct, I'll have to dislodge it from its resting place,
> but in that case, why did they not put a flea clip jumper on it to
> power the things. There isn't one, and docs on this thing are all but
> non-existant. If there are, I can put an interconnecting ground on it,
> and put 5 volts out to the switches common and let them switch the 5
> volts to the input terminal.  This board can be had for 4 dollars,
> probably with free shipping off fleabay. It was small and didn't have
> a bunch of gingerbread on it, just one small relay. No thru port etc.
>
> I'll investigate with a dvm and see if thats practical to do yet
> today. If thats the case, and I can verify a resistance between the
> input terminal and a leg of the moc, and a ground to that gnd terminal
> from all the other mocs, its a go. Or alternatively, an r of suitable
> value to one leg of each moc, and a dead short from the other leg on
> that side of the moc to the input terminal. The downside is that puts
> 5 volts straight from the supply out on those switches, which is not
> good engineering at all. Humm. I have +12, +24 regulated and around
> +35 unregulated, all available right in that box for relay coils etc,
> so a bigger r from a higher voltage could feed the switch common, with
> that higher R supplying a safety current limiting function in the
> event of a short.  I like that idea.  My coffee is obviously taking
> effect. :) Another cuppa and feed Dee, and I'll get legal for public
> viewing and go check.
>
> Thanks Andy, you triggered some thinking I wasn't doing well yesterday
> after tiring a bit.
>
> > > Anyway, another ten dollar assortment will be here in about 3+
> > > weeks I guess. No wholesalers still exist that I'm aware of
> > > without a run to Pittsburg PA, about 150 miles north
> >
> > I suddenly feel rather lucky that I can cycle 5 miles to a shop that
> > opens even on Sunday and buy simple components (
> > https://www.maplin.co.uk/c/components/electronics-components ) and
> > get almost anything else with free next-working-day delivery from RS
> > components.
>
> I'm jealous. Even 20 years ago my nearest source was in Fairmont,
> nearly 40 miles up the superslab.0
>
> > On the subject of electronics, my cheap eBay hot air rework station
> > arrived yesterday. I have to say that it is far better than the £22
> > asking price had me expecting. It made very short work of swapping
> > out some SOIC8 packages, though I did pull up some pads removing a
> [...]
Well, to continue this farce. what I measured said there was already a
1000 ohm resistance between the input terminal and the only pin of each
moc that had any connection at all.  So I wired it up tp put 13.8 volts
out to the switch common. Didn't work, drew very close to zero
current. .6 volts drop across 362 ohms in series with the 13.8 volt
supply. Sit down and dig thru a stack of paper I had printed and kept as
I built it originally and finally found the 3 pages of docs someone sent
me a lick to, and which I printed. The board is called a MACH3
BL_MACH-V1.1. Severely compressed, to the point that much of the text
callouts adjacent to the terminals is rendered illegible. If anyone has
this document in a legible format so the pin descriptions can be read,
I'd be very gratefull.

What I do see adjacent to the input terminal strip when the db25 is
pointed up, indicates that all inputs are simple switch contacts between
the input and the ground terminal, and labeled mutter-in 12-24 volts.

The front row of terminals is all outputs for 4 axis's, with from the
right end in the pix, two terminals for PC5 volts, a terminal for PCGND,
4th one is p1-pwm, 5th is P17-BDIR/RELAY, 6th is P16-Bpulse, 7th is
P14-enable, and the 8th starts a 4 axis dir/pulse sequence.

It does have one flea clip the takes the B dir pin and routes it to the
onboard relay.

There is a 6 terminal strip on the right edge, the top 2 are the spst
relay contacts. the next one is ground, with the illegible box pointing
to the - and + terminals of that pair, and 12-24 mutter PWM mutter limit
switch. And the last 2 on the bottom are + and - in that order with the
caption box proclaiming 0-10viPWM output.

So I'm thinking that in order to power the whole input side of this
thing, I need to put some + 12 or 24 on the 4th terminal down from the
top, clear on the other end of the board from the input terminals on the
left edge. So next I'll see if I can see some 12 volts at the inputs if
I put some 12 volts on this "mutter" limit switch. Wish me good luck
guys. If thats the case, the gnd terminal on the input side ought to be
common to that - terminal 3rd down from the top on the right edge of the
board.  So thats the next test. Damn, what a pain in the ass is such
poorly published docs.

More later without a doubt.