An interesting you tube video by "Tom's 3D".  He talks about 3D printers
but much of the technology applies to machine tools.  After all they both
run G-code.

In this video he measures the accuracy of end-stop or "home" sensors and
compare microswitches, with and without levers and also varies kinds of
non-contact sensors.    He runs each kind into a stop at both high and low
speed and after 100 tries has data for standard deviations.

Result is that removing the lever from the microswitch reduces standard
deviation by about 3X.   I assume because the per has about a 3X mechanical
advantage.   But it's surprising is that a $2 inductive sensor beats even
the non-lever switch.

It might be moot as all the measurements are in microns (micro meters)

But on the other hand if these dirt-cheap inductive sensors are this good
and importantly they are water and oil tight with no moving parts we should
be using them.

Here is the winner at 0.27 microns standard deviation
ebay.com/itm/LJ12A3-4-Z-BX-Inductive-Proximity-Sensor....
<https://www.ebay.com/itm/LJ12A3-4-Z-BX-Inductive-Proximity-Sensor-Switch-NPN-DC6-36V-Great/272907213327?hash=item3f8a899a0f:g:6fwAAOSw~gRVyHZ->

The blue end looks like a button switch but it isn't.  This is a
non-contact sensor.  It triggers when it senses a metal part at 4mm
distance (with a surprising 0.27 micron standard deviation)

Here is the video, The application is different but look at his test
setup.  It pretty much mimics what you would do on a milling machine.
https://youtu.be/il9bNWn66BY

How to use them:  There are three wires two are power, you apply between 6
and 36 volts, typically 12 volts.   The third wire is either normally 12V
or zero and then switches state when the sensor is tripped.   Of course 12
volts would fry your computer so people use a voltage divider of optical
isolator or even a switching diode.

The typical use for these is industrial automation, food processing,
manufacturing or whatever.

I have ordered a few and will experiment.
--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California