I believe that the ESTOP signal should remove power to relays that supply
energy to anything that could hurt a human.  That means, motor voltage,
heater voltage, lasers and pneumatics.   Once the ESTOP is released that
same set of relays must require a separate action to re-enable them.   SO
that someone doesn't just release the ESTOP and a motor starts up cutting
through the rest of a man's arm for example.

Keeping the ENABLE as a switch that must be cycled off and then on allows
the software to also disengage all motion.  Then, if safety warrants it, the
drives can be re-enabled and JOG feature used to pull back our out or away
from the human pinned by it.  Way back when I worked in The Netherlands
there were pretty strict rules about what ESTOP did and how equipment
behaved after ESTOP was released.  I don't know what the regulations are
now.

And ideally the separate ESTOP circuit must be Normally closed so a broken
wire has the same effect.

John