On 20 May 2018 at 02:41, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

> But how best to prevent the drill bit from doing the sailors hornpipe
> dance when the brass first touches it?  Thats the $64 question.

I would take a completely different approach, I would make a fitting
for the lathe spindle that takes R8 tooling.

I haven't done this on my lathe, because I use BT30 tooling, but I do
have a fixture for that.

On my old lathe it was a block that screwed on to the spindle nose,
but the Holbrook has a big enough spindle that the adaptor is MT4.5 on
the OD to fit the lathe spindle and BT30 on the inside for
mill-spindle tooling.

--
atp
lunatics."