Thanks,
I'm not concerned about the AC ground side of things.

Internet searches on this subject generally seem to agree that DC ground
doesn't and shouldn't be connected to the metal frame earth ground at any
point.  If it is either through a capacitor  or a 100 ohm resistor.

I remember many years ago working on Trim & Form Equipment in The
Netherlands we ran into problems with the PCs used for the User interface
(Pentium 386) had the power supply internally connect the DC ground to the
frame.  Caused all sorts of havoc.  I don't remember what the solution was.

Jeff Birt also suggests not connecting DC ground to the frame on one group's
posting.   Obviously there may be Break Out Boards that break this rule but
then they may also be made by hobbiests who have gone into the machine
controls business and don't really know.

John