On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 1:45 PM Valerio Bellizzomi <vale...@selnet.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2018-07-24 at 21:27 +0200, Roland Jollivet wrote:
> > I had a quick look at PyCAM, and FreeCAD's Path Workbench.
> >
> > >From what I see, neither seem to do rest milling (rest machining), which is
> > a limitation of most of the free packages and makes it pretty useless for
> > multiple cutters unless you are extremely vigilant on what was not cut.
> >
> > Or do they do rest milling?
>
> I have no idea of what it is, but there is a feature request:
>
> https://github.com/SebKuzminsky/pycam/issues/120

I think "rest machining" refers to doing initial machining passes with
a large-diameter cutter, having the CAM keep track of the remaining
material that needs to be removed, and then doing finishing passes
with a smaller-diameter cutter to remove that remaining material. For
example, think of a large pocket with sharp corners, roughed out with
a large endmill and then finished with a small endmill.

The feature request you linked above is different (and simpler): it's
just to do "normal" machining operations on *select* features in the
model, instead of applying the operations to *all* features of the
model.