On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 10:14 AM TJoseph Powderly <tjt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i installed raspbian jessie from
> http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2017-07-05/2017-07-05-raspbian-jessie.zip

Is raspbian compatible with regular debian?  I don't know.

All our packages are built for regular debian.

> then found linuxcnc deb at
> http://linuxcnc.org/jessie/2.7uspace/binary-armhf/linuxcnc-uspace_2.1.14_armhf.deb
> thats a real easter egg!

The direct link is:
http://linuxcnc.org/dists/jessie/2.7-uspace/binary-armhf/linuxcnc-uspace_2.7.14_armhf.deb

But the preferred way to get it is by adding an apt line, like the one
you added below.

> I was worried about the deps needed by the install, so
> in synaptic, i added repo    deb http://linuxcnc.org/  jessie base

If you use the following apt line instead, you can install and upgrade
linuxcnc via apt:
deb http://linuxcnc.org/  jessie base 2.7-uspace

(That's like your apt line above, plus "2.7-uspace" at the end to pick
up LinuxCNC itself.)

> then exited synaptic
> then ran sudo apt-get update and got
>
> "Failed to fetch htt://linuxcnc.org/dists/jessie/Release
> unable to find expected 'base/binary-armhf/Packages'
> in Release file ( wrong source.list or malformed file )"

Oops, that's a bug in our debian archive!  I just attempted to fix it,
but i don't have an armhf machine handy.  Can you try updating your
apt source to the one I said above, then run 'apt-get update' and let
me kow if it works?

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky