I am talking in terms of a
light cut on a stiff aluminium bar between centres.

That assumes your tailstock is dead nuts on. If not you're going to be trying to compensate for a mix of tailstock + bed errors. If you use the bar unsupported there are flex issues. Having said that you always get some flex in the work so maybe it is a good thing that the test bar flexes slightly...

When I was playing with the head alignment on my Colchester I used a large chunk of Delrin bar and a very sharp cutter. The bar was pretty stiff and cutting forces were low.

Les