On Friday 05 October 2018 23:24:38 Chris Albertson wrote:

> A third option is a REALLY long belt.  It is long enough to make a
> double pass on each side and needs about 8 pulleys but you only need
> one motor.  I saw one of these once but it used a kevlar cable, not a
> belt
>
> I think the shaft is move simple but but you need precision mechanics
> to adjust it.  It is ever comes apart for service you'd need some good
> measuring tools to align it.    But with two motors the adjustment
> misdone in software and the mechanic doing the service only needs to
> get it "close" by eyeball with a tape measure. find adjustment is
> later in software.
>
> My dirt cheap 3D printer uses two motors and parallel screws and I use
> basically a sheet of paper as a feeler gauge and I can reset alignment
> in abut 30 seconds to about 0.005 mm.
>
> Any design can work as long as you have a designed on squaring method
> that can be done with simple/cheap tools
>
> All the talk about the long axis but I think the REALLY hard part is
> the Z axis.  Lets say you make a cut that is 0.15 mm deep and 3 meters
> long. Will it remain exactly 0.15mm deep over that long distance?   I
> bet you a buck not.

No takers on that bet Chris.

If indeed its that critical, one would need a dynamic distance detection
method of some sort riding the work pretty close to the tool, which
would be outputting the instant offset, and would be driving the Z to
maintain that distance in real time. And the success of that would be in
building it to not be material sensitive, or subject to getting tangled
with the cuttings.

Because it has to operate in a pretty noisy environment, I'd design it
with a hardened ball pointed lever, sitting the ball quite close to the
tool, and pivoting a couple inches away from the cutter, with the far
end moving a ferrite slug in and out of a coil which was part of an
oscillator running at 100+ kilohertz, and some sort of a frequency
discriminator, possibly a crystal referenced phase locked loop, using
the pll's error as the signal into an offset module.  With the correct
gain, I'd say you could make a working correction circuit that would
reduce a 5mm error to +- .01mm, which might be close enough. That
wouldn't care how long or wide the bed and workpiece are but the lever
should be constrained from dropping over the edge of the workpiece and
being caught and destroyed. That implies a bigger ball. The ferrite slug
could be moved by a small wire thru a hole in the shielding so other
electrical noises wouldn't bither it too much, or were fast enough that
the drive motor will function as a noise integrator. This could be
centered in the control range by useing a screw the pivot point up and
down with a hand knob, on the levers pivot point height. With the tool
stopped, adjust the slider with the rest of the circuit live, so the
tool touches the work or holds a paper slip, then dial an offset in with
a sum2 to drive the tool to the desired depth.  And apply just enough
shop air to keep the contact area 99% clean.

Theres probably a few more ways to skin that cat, as all of this would
have to be moved with the z drive, but thats what I'd try since the
electronics are fairly well understood here at the coyote.den. Making
the hardware would take me some longer than some of you. But I'd get it
done as long as I'm still looking at the green side of the grass.
;-) Not having the real estate for a big gantry machine would slow me
down I expect.