I did the university thing on control theory, but it was a while ago.. more than 30 years..so I'll leave it at that!  :-)

If you are researching loop control theory, you should also look at Fuzzy logic controllers.

There are some simulator software out there that allow you to compare Fuzzy logic techniques to traditional PID controls.
Some of them are live webpages.
Its very interesting.   To me, its amazing how effective fuzzy logic can be.   The big problem that I found is that you have to read quite a bit before it makes sense. There are a lot of poor explanations of how it works.  Some of the explanations are so bad that they simply create confusion.

Dave